Dienstag, 19. September 2023

Day 3 (September 18) - Shadowing at Wakefield Memorial High School (A.K.)

Today was my first day experiencing the American high school dream. I woke up early to catch the infamous yellow school bus. The ride was a bit bumpy, but I enjoyed the experience, nonetheless. We all had to meet at 7:15 a.m. for attendance. Afterward, everyone split up and went with their assigned exchange partners. My first period was a free one, so my exchange student gave me a tour of the school. Along the way, we met up with other exchange students and walked as a group around the school. The school looked exactly as I had imagined it would. The only real surprise was the lockers - it was just one big room with everything in it, including showers, bathrooms, and lockers.


My second lesson was math. I found it a bit boring because the students were working on exercises, and I didn't have any assigned work, so I spent my time drawing other students. For my third and fourth periods, I had history class with one of my classmates. We were thoroughly questioned by the history teacher, but I found it quite amusing, and the lesson afterward was very interesting.


Lunch break in the cafeteria was an eye-opener. It was packed, everyone was chatting loudly, and it was over in the blink of an eye. I had to rush to my fifth lesson, which was English. We had a substitute teacher because the previous one had quit after just two days. The students were given a text to read and questions to answer. 


Lastly, I had Spanish class. I noticed that the world language classes are taught in a slightly different way than at my school. 


After school, we did some icebreakers with all the exchange students. However, I had to leave early with my exchange partner because she had a dentist appointment. Afterward, she had to go to the swim club for her practice. During her practice, my host mother and I went to BJ's, a store that sells everything in large quantities. In the end, I bought a book, and we returned home.


It was a very exciting day for me, and I'm looking forward to the next two weeks in America!

 




 


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.